If you’ve gone into a room, flipped the light on and received a shock, call a professional electrician right away. While a minor shock from a light switch is likely harmless static, if you experience a larger jolt, this could be a sign of something more serious.

In the case of a more significant shock, the wiring for your light switch will need to be inspected by a registered electrician to ensure there isn’t a fault. Of course, if the shock causes you any prolonged pain, we will also suggest seeking medical advice.

However unlikely this situation, it can happen. A wire within the switch may be making contact with the metal screws, this could be due to an issue when the switch was fitted or an issue with the wiring itself. Either way, having it looked at by a trusted and professional electrician is vital to avoid further injury or potential fire risk.

For more electrical safety advice, check out our other articles here. ETL Electrical Solutions, your electrical safety matters.